Wednesday, February 18, 2009

Time Management - Putting effort into our work

I came across this quote today and it made me think of my students.

"Accomplish your daily task and you will accomplish your life's task."

One of the difficulties I've seen many students deal with in past years and this year is time management. The middle school years are a time of fun, friendship, sports, music classes, play practice, church groups, babysitting jobs, SCHOOL, lots of homework, new experiences, etc. and it's hard for kids to keep track of everything all the time. Recently I spoke to each of my classes about time management and putting effort into their work. This conversation was sparked after I realized that 67% of the kids on our team lost points on our last assignment because they did not follow directions, handed the project in late, or did not hand it in at all. This statistic is shocking and upsetting.

I shared this statistic with the students and tried to convey to them the importance of taking their time on assignments, reading rubrics and checking them twice, and just planning time each day to work on school work. After these discussions I do feel that the students understood that they are capable of so much and they deserve to work hard and achieve success!

If they set time aside and accomplish their daily tasks they will be on their way to a successful future!

No comments:

Post a Comment