Tuesday, March 24, 2009

Research, research, research

My students are now in the middle of their research writing project and they are doing a great job. This is the first year that the kids are working in groups and their research papers will be submitted on a wikispace page. In past years whenever I mentioned the dreaded research paper my students would groan in agony. This year they still groaned but now that they are working on it they are really into the assignment. Somehow it seems that using technology make them happier with the work they're doing. I'm anxious to see what the results are and I'll post some of the best wikis for you to see. So far I'm impressed with their work.

The kids are also getting ready for their "teacher for a day" presentations. After the paper is handed in the group must become teachers for a day and teach a lesson to the class for an entire 55 minute class period. The students are required to write a lesson plan based on the research from their papers. The lesson must include information for the students, class activities, and homework. So far many groups have approached me with smirks on their faces asking if they can give pop quizzes. I'm hoping that they come up with innovative ways to share the information they've researched and I also hope they have a better understanding of what teachers do each and every day!

1 comment:

  1. Danielle,

    I'll be interested to see how this works out for you. It's a big departure for both you and them from what you both have expected of the research process in the past.

    Students are always much tougher on each other when they teach and design assessments than we ever are, so it's kind of funny to hear that they want to quiz each other during their lessons.

    ReplyDelete