Thursday, February 4, 2010

Digital Footprint

This week we started discussing our digital footprints - the digital trail we leave whenever we interact in a digital environment.  This means that every time we shop online, play an online video game, text, make a cell phone call, Skype with our friends and family, etc - we are leaving a trail of where we have been online.  

I had the kids track their digital footprint for two days and many found that they felt they were interacting digitally for more than 40% of their time!  Technology has changed the way we live our lives and for the next few weeks we're going to be exploring this in class.  Our focus will be on how technology has changed the way we communicate.  This blog is a perfect example.  If I want to inform parents about what we're studying in class I no longer have to send home a letter - instead I can just post on this blog!

It's truly amazing when you think about how much technology has changed our lives and communication styles.  However I was a little upset that one of the kids asked me if I had a rotary phone or if I used a pigeon to communicate - geez!  

3 comments:

  1. How did you ahve kids track this? What did you have them track? I am interested in doing something like this with my class.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Please email me at raffelsol at hotmail. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Danielle,

    You should check out the recent report done by the Kaiser Family Foundation about youth and media usage (http://www.kff.org/entmedia/entmedia012010nr.cfm). Pretty staggering when you think that 53 hours a week is spent immersed in media on average!

    ReplyDelete